Thursday, September 16, 2010

A great friend is very sick.


For the almost 12 years that I have lived in this state my Water Spaniel, Marley, has been one of my greatest friends. She's been there for me every day with a smile on her face and happy to see me. Sure, we've had our ups and downs but she is and always will be one of the greatest friends I could ever ask for.

On Thursday my wife noticed that her throat was swollen. Since my wife works for a Veterinarian, the red flags went up. Marley went into the vets on Friday for a complete test on what was going on and on Sunday our greatest fear was realized when news that Marley was diagnosed with Type-B Lymphoma. Lymphoma is a very rapid spreading cancer which means that Marley will not be with us much longer we fear. We opted to not treat the cancer with chemotherapy because of her age and the advancement of the cancer already at this point.

She is fine today, eating just like she always has and still greeting us with her quirky sideways smile. She is not as active as she was just days before but she is still in good spirits. We have started her on palliative care which consists of mostly Prednisone. Our goal is to keep Marley has comfortable as possible until her quality of life starts to suffer.

It saddens me greatly to type this, but Marley and I have had a great time together over the 12 years. She will never be forgotten and their will never be another dog like her ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment